Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Framework Draft StatementfortheOntology S

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:07:04 -0400
Again, I would push people away from defining what an ontology is,
since though this is important, it's not our primary concern here.  We
can't resolve this question without (as we've seen) endless
interminable infinite discussion. (I do think there is a reasonable
definition, but won't express it here.)    (01)

[1] Instead, focus on the dimensions, elaborate these or obliterate
them. Let's try to characterize properties we think are important for
what anyone (in their right mind) would call an ontology.     (02)

I don't think the current proposal will serve as a Wikipedia account of
what an ontology is. (But -- who knows -- it might; in which case I
hope the droves will zoom in on that account when it appears.) But we
are trying not to focus primarily on that worthy effort here. Instead:
[1].     (03)

Thanks,
Leo    (04)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (05)