Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Framework Draft StatementfortheOntology S

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah L. McGuinness" <dlm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:32:40 -0700
wow - i went offline for a couple of days and missed a LOT of messages.    (01)

i would like to support 2 positions:
1 - it would be useful if we had a definition of ontology we could rally
around that is simple enough to be used in broad audiences
2 - the goal of monday is to get a framework for use in describing
ontologies (and that *may* be less controversial than the ontology
definition).    (02)

I worked with tom to address the issues that i have found over the last
decade or so with the "specification of a conceptualization" phrase.  i
thought it was pretty well addressed at least from the perspective of
the range of questions i have received.  i see though that it still
causes significant discussion.    (03)

In my introductory talks on ontologies, i have been using a very simple
definition that has been going over well.
I went to this description about 5 years ago so i have tested it for a
while:    (04)

"an ontology is a formal description of terms and their inter-relationships"    (05)

i think that is about as brief as one can get.    (06)

deborah    (07)