Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Framework Draft StatementfortheOntology S

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:58:22 +0200
Couple of points catching up on the last day's posts after travelling:    (01)

- Matthew: Why throw "categories" into the pot? I'm not sure how "apple",
"shop" and "customer" can fit as concepts (sorry, but we're running out of
terms (including this one) for this meta-discussion) in your definition - they
aren't "categories" in any sense, and certainly not relationships or rules, but
I would argue the three "things" are nonetheless an ontology, albeit of very
limited expressiveness...    (02)

- "it excludes the informal (non computer interpretable) ontologies that were
written in English that the draft document seemed to be wanting to include"...
I'm not sure I want to have to cope with the implications of opening the
floodgates potentially to all Chomskian transformational grammar - we're having
a hard enough time with formal ontologies aren't we?!    (03)

- I do like Chris Partridge's comment about making a distinction between
Ontology and ontology (-ies): this could indeed take some of the heat out of
what seem to be exchanges between two approaches....    (04)

- I do think we need to reserve a few keywords for our meta-discussion if we
are to be able to continue to function as debating beings for this Summit! I'm
starting to mangle "thing", "term", "concept" to express the "...?"'s we're
talking about... or am I defying Gödel's incompleteness theorem?    (05)

Peter    (06)