Re: [ontolog-forum] Fruit fly emotions mimic human emotions - ontology d

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 18:44:35 +0000 (UTC)
John,

No problem on the "vs." issue. But I did explicitly warn everyone that there was more to cog sci than that one issue.

I've just read your signproc.pdf. It's a beautiful article. Sections 4 and 7, taken together, seem to extend your account of "knowledge soup" beyond that contained in your Knowledge Representation.

So here are some thoughts on Knowledge Soup.

1. Knowledge Soup seems to have a Hegelian feel to it, in this specific sense, that any objection to it is just one more illustration of the theory itself. That makes me a little uneasy, but I don't know what more to say about it right now.

2. Knowledge Soup also seems to come down emphatically on the Heraclitus side of the Heraclitean vs. Parmenidean tendency in Philosophy, and in human thought in general. That, too, makes me a little uneasy, since I consider the two a partitioning of patterns of human thought, even of results of human thought, and also that I think it unlikely that "reality" and "truth" would choose so one-sidedly between those great thinkers.

3. Taking the Heraclitean perspective on Knowledge Soup itself, what do you think the future may hold for it -- ten years hence, a hundred years hence? Is Knowledge Soup, as a theory/theory framework, just as subject to the vicissitudes of theoretical evolution and revolution as everything else is?

4. And if it is, is that just further validation of the theory? Or is it validation of the theory's own anticipation of its own invalidity? In which case, is that anticipation further validation of the theory?

5. And do these questions (in #4) indicate that Knowledge Soup may be an elaborate self-referential paradox, a theory that shaves all and only those theories that don't shave themselves?

Again, a beautiful article. I'm going back to read it a second time now, more carefully.

Tom