Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics of Natural Languages

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 09:43:16 -0700

JFS: Rich,

I have not had the time to respond to the long thread about fruit flies, etc.  I'll get back to that later.

RGC: Thanks John, your critiques and reviews are excellent and valuable, so I look forward to your comments.

JFS: Although I have a high regard for most of the work by Peter Gärdenfors, his three-way distinction in that paper misses a few hundred other ways that should be considered:

PG in "SYMBOLIC, CONCEPTUAL AND SUBCONCEPTUAL REPRESENTATIONS"

> Most adherents of the symbolic paradigm are semantic realists in the

> sense that the “meaning” of a predicate or a sentence is determined by

> mapping it to the external world (or, to make it even more remote from

> a cognitive system, to a plethora of possible worlds). The world (and

> the mapping) is assumed to exist independently of any relation to a

> cognitive subject.

First of all, every language, natural or artificial, consists of symbols.  Therefore, every theory of language must, at some level, be symbolic.

RGC: While that is true, PG is trying to show that the symbolic approach has some serious limitations, such as the grounding problem among many others.  But he seems to agree that symbolic descriptions are necessary, just not sufficient.

JFS: Second, the following sentence by PG is a statement of strong AI, which even most AI people don't believe: "The symbolic approach starts from the assumption that cognitive systems should be modeled by Turing machines."

RGC: I took that to mean mathematically modeled by TMs, but NOBODY except mathematicians and philosophers with lots of time on their hands actually programs TMs.  We all write software, whether procedural or declarative, in our own heads.  That is where meaning is organized and stored.

JFS: Third concepts are symbolic, even when they aren't expressed in language.  The conceptual version that PG discusses represents concepts by vectors, which are inadequate for representing nearly all complex language usage -- both formal and informal.

Fourth, the term 'subconceptual' includes much more than the computational methods called 'connectionist'.

Finally, PG does make some statements that I would agree with, but his terminology (based on the trichotomy in that article) tends to confuse the issues.

RGC: Yes, but we have seen that terminology problem in the ontology group as well.  Little clusters of people can agree on small terminologies, but when the larger population is included, terminology is more like fantasy than fact.

JFS: In short, I would not recommend that paper as a step toward clarifying the issues raised in the fruit-fly thread.

John

RGC: However, I am getting some good viewpoints from PG on how to resolve the issues he raises.

Thanks for those useful points,

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

Chief Technology Officer,

MetaSemantics Corporation

MetaSemantics AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

http://www.EnglishLogicKernel.com

I have not had the time to respond to the long thread about fruit flies, etc.  I'll get back to that later.  Although I have a high regard for most of the work by Peter Gärdenfors, his three-way distinction in that paper misses a few hundred other ways that should be considered: