Re: [ontolog-forum] The Symbol Grounding Problem

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: joseph simpson <jjs0sbw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 10:39:30 -0700
John:

I get a 404 -- File not found -- when I click the provided link..

Have fun,

Joe

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5/24/2015 12:55 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> PG wrote:
> "Another problem for the symbolic approach is highlighted by Harnad.
> He asks the following questions: “How can the semantic interpretation
> of a formal symbol system be made intrinsic to the system, rather than
> just parasitic on the meanings in our heads? How can the meanings of
> the meaningless symbol tokens, manipulated solely on the basis of their
> (arbitrary) shapes, be grounded in anything but other meaningless
> symbols?”"

Peirce answered that question with his logic of pragmatism.  For a
summary, see slides 41 to 56 of http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/mica.pdf

For Peirce's answer, see "Harvard Lectures on Pragmatism", vol 2, of

    Peirce, Charles Sanders (EP) The Essential Peirce, ed. by
    N. Houser, C. Kloesel, and members of the Peirce Edition Project,
    2 vols., Indiana University Press, Bloomington, 1991-1998.

My drawing of the cycle of pragmatism is based on Lecture 7.

If you see any discussion of symbol grounding, check the references.
If it does not cite Peirce, you can safely dismiss it as irrelevant.

John

Joe Simpson

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.

Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.

All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

George Bernard Shaw