Re: [ontolog-forum] Watchout Watson: Here comes Amazon Machine Learning

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 10:11:46 -0400
Rich and Tom,    (01)

RC
> I think you are describing what is best represented as fluents in the
> table.  A "fluent" row comprises the predicate's specified value of
> true or false, and its parametric bindings to objects and properties.    (02)

TJ
> Which suggests that I must currently fail to understand what you mean
> by "fluents". Can you enlighten me?    (03)

The term 'fluent' was introduced by John McCarthy and Pat Hayes in the
classic paper "Some philosophical problems from the standpoint of AI":    (04)

JMC & PJH (1969) http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/mcchay69.pdf
> A fluent is a function whose domain is the space Sit of situations.    (05)

For example, the sentence "It is raining" is a _propositional fluent_.
For any situation in which it is raining, that fluent has value true.    (06)

Another fluent is the phrase 'the president', which depends on the
organization and the time.  For the situation of the USA at this moment,
the value of that fluent is a human named Barack Obama.    (07)

The term 'fluent' is a useful generic for many terms that have the
modifier 'context dependent'.  For related documents, search for the
word 'context' in http://www.jfsowa.com/ikl/ .    (08)