Re: [ontolog-forum] Watchout Watson: Here comes Amazon Machine Learning

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Thomas Johnston'" <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 14:09:13 -0700

Dear Matthew, Thomas, John, ...

TJ> I have proposed a third temporal dimension -- that in which the statements made by rows in tables are asserted to be true. For example, a logically deleted row remains in a database as one which no longer represents the assertion of the statement it makes. And just as we can utter/write statements (de-indexicalized declarative sentences) that, starting at some point in time, we are no longer willing to assert represent statements we believe are true, so too we can enter rows into database tables that represent statements that we are not yet, at that time, willing to assert represent true statements. The former rows are tagged with "speech act" time periods (see below) that are entirely in the past, and the latter with time periods that are entirely in the future. Again, this is not in the current SQL standard, nor in the current comp sci literature.

[MW>] I’m still not clear (but interested).

RC> I think you are describing what is best represented as fluents in the table.  A "fluent" row comprises the predicate's specified value of true or false, and its parametric bindings to objects and properties.  But the fluent row also stores the truth value that this row currently represents - i.e., true or false.  For example:

_a^2 + _b^2 = _c^2

is the 90 degree triangle Pythagorean constraint on the length of the three sides.  To determine if the Pythagorean constraint is true, we need values for _a, _b and _c to check the equation.  But we can also store the truth value _tf with the value of a given triangle we wish to store in the knowledge base.  So the database record would be:

   < _tf : Boolean;  _a : number;  b: number;  c : number >

Then, given instance values for a, b and c to ground _a, _b and _c, the Pythagorean constraint on that instance would be evaluated true or false.  That evaluation, compared with the stored value _tf, would drive an application's interpreted decision to assert that the instance is Pythagorean if and only if the evaluation is equal to _tf, which in this example must be stored as true in the row's value for _tf.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

Chief Technology Officer,

MetaSemantics Corporation

MetaSemantics AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

http://www.EnglishLogicKernel.com