Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <rrovetto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:22:54 -0400
Important points.
1) Questioning the hierarchical structure of categories and ontologies
2) Questioning the nature of top-level categories and their relation to lower-level ones

QUESTIONS:
William, are you saying...
1) Concepts (what you call Conceptual Categories) are not inherently structured in a hierarchy?
2) Conceptual Categories are those that ...
(a) are more general than biological and other scientific categories,
(b) are domain-neutral categories, and as such are
(c) categories from top-level (domain-neutral) ontologies, e.g. from dolce, bfo, gfo, misc.
(d) are created, not discovered
3) Biological Categories (let's generalize it to Scientific Categories) are those that...
(a) are posited by biology (some scientific discipline), e.g. Heart, or some species
(b) are discovered
...?

Would you (anyone) say this is correct...
4) The problem with many upper- or top-level ontologies is that they...
(a) implicitly assume that their categories are like Biological/Scientific Categories, i.e., they have mind-external referrents/correlates, etc.
and
(b) this can become dogmatic, an imposition, creating prohibitions, etc.
and
(c) the top-level categories are more accurately correlated with linguistic or everyday mental conceptualizations
...?

R,
Robert Rovetto