Re: [ontolog-forum] Endurantism and Perdurantism - Re: Some Comments on

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
From: Avril Styrman <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:26:24 +0200

Quoting Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>:    (01)

> It seems simply obvious to me that a fruit's ripening is a temporal
> part of the fruit. I genuinely do not understand how anyone can
> disagree with this. (What else would it be? *Where* else would it
> be?) But in any case, for sure, I want to be able to apply the
> language of ripening to the name denoting the fruit, without
> receiving error messages telling me I have violated someone's
> peculiar ideas about things not being processes.    (02)

If I understand correctly, Pat is talking about the very basic and
sufficient ontology where fruit denotes a sequence of particulars which
are realized in the time interval [1 n]. The fruit during the interval
[a b] is ripening, and during a later interval [f g] it is e.g. rotting,
where [a b] and [f g] are sub-intervals of [1 n], and 1>a>b>f>g>n.
This way the continuant-occurrent dichotomy can be derived as a
definition: a particular at one time is called an occurrent; a sequence
of two or more particulars at two or more consecutive times is called
a continuant.    (03)

fruit[1] is an occurrent.    (04)

fruit[1 n] is a continuant, where n>1.    (05)

The only problem in applying this in the cosmological scale is the
relativity principle, which implies that different parts of the Universe
are not realized at the same time. However, as the cosmologists in
practice must in any case talk about the temporal stages of the Universe,
they incorporate the notion of cosmic time that is absolutely
simultaneous for all. This only requires meditating away the conflict
with the relativity principle. My suggestion is of course the shift to a
model that starts with absolute simultaneity.    (06)

Avril    (07)

Ystävällisin terveisin,    (08)

Avril Styrman
avril.styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx