Re: [ontolog-forum] SME (subject matter experts) and Ontology developeme

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:55:55 -0400
Pat -

On Mar 19, 2015, at 11:54 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Another timepoint: when I first went to Rochester in 1981, the CS lab there was already using a Xerox product, the Lisa, which had the Xerox mouse/windows GUI on a bitmapped screen and a sophisticated OS with built-in wordprocessing, graphics, native networking and various other 'modern' apps. I am pretty sure this was the first commercially available such computer, several years before the Macintosh, although it was not by any means a desktop machine.

Slight correction.

I believe the Xerox Alto was first.  I was able to play with one at Xerox, Webster.  Not a commercial product.

Xerox did have a commercial Alto-like secretaries workstation product... name momentarily forgotten until I dig a little deeper into the archives.

Lisa was Apple's first attempt.  It was very expensive—$10,000—and a flop.  But it did provide the foundation for the Macintosh.

By 1982 (I think) Xerox did produce magnificent Lisp machines, Dolphin & Dorado.

David Eddy
Babson Park, MA

W: 781-455-0949