Re: [ontolog-forum] SME (subject matter experts) and Ontology developeme

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 11:12:17 -0500

On Mar 20, 2015, at 7:55 AM, David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> Pat -
>
> On Mar 19, 2015, at 11:54 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Another timepoint: when I first went to Rochester in 1981, the CS lab there
>was already using a Xerox product, the Lisa, which had the Xerox mouse/windows
>GUI on a bitmapped screen and a sophisticated OS with built-in wordprocessing,
>graphics, native networking and various other 'modern' apps. I am pretty sure
>this was the first commercially available such computer, several years before
>the Macintosh, although it was not by any means a desktop machine.
>
> Slight correction.
>
> I believe the Xerox Alto was first.    (02)

Yes, sorry, my bad. Exchange Alto//Lisa in my message. Apologies to all.     (03)

>  I was able to play with one at Xerox, Webster.  Not a commercial product.    (04)

They were never promoted commercially, but they were a mature, finished
product. Rochester was using I think five of them all linked by network for
office work, administration and general computing support. It was the first
time I had ever seen a WYSIWYG wordprocessor, and it blew my mind.     (05)

Pat    (06)

> Xerox did have a commercial Alto-like secretaries workstation product... name
>momentarily forgotten until I dig a little deeper into the archives.
>
> Lisa was Apple's first attempt.  It was very expensive—$10,000—and a flop.
>But it did provide the foundation for the Macintosh.
>

> By 1982 (I think) Xerox did produce magnificent Lisp machines, Dolphin &
>Dorado.

> David Eddy
> Babson Park, MA
>
> W: 781-455-0949
>
> deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (08)