Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics for interoperable systems

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 08:42:23 -0500
Adrian,    (01)

I added both references from your note to slide 26 of
http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/cnl4ss.pdf    (02)

> Any "Controlled English" system surely contains a dictionary of English.    (03)

Yes.  But there are many kinds of dictionaries, many ways to create
and/or customize them, and many ways of automatically or semi-
automatically updating/extending them.    (04)

> perhaps you could add a footnote saying that the [EE] technology
> is open vocabulary and largely open syntax?    (05)

The word 'open' has an "open-ended" number of word senses.
For computer systems, it is primarily an honorific that
implies some competitive system is "closed".    (06)

In any case, slide 4 (copy below) notes that many systems that
might be called controlled English don't use that term. In slides
22 to 26, I show how EE works.  Anyone who wants more information
will find four URLs to your web site at the bottom of slide 26.    (07)

John
_____________________________________________________    (08)

Slide 4 of http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/cnl4ss.pdf :    (09)

                SOME EXAMPLES OF CNLs    (010)

1. Aristotle’s notation for logic and syllogisms    (011)

2. Intellect keyword system    (012)

3. Transformational Question Answering System (TQA)    (013)

4. Executable English    (014)

5. Attempto Controlled English (ACE)    (015)

6. REL, ASK, and families of sublanguages    (016)

Systems #1, #3, #4, #5, and #6 meet the definition of a CNL,
but #5 is the only one whose designers call a CNL.    (017)

The designers advertised #2 as “true natural language,” but
a more accurate description would be “keyword system.”    (018)