Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics for interoperable systems

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:25:42 -0500
Adrian,    (01)

Thanks for the suggestions.    (02)

> Nice web page.  Please consider adding:
>
> www.reengineeringllc.com/EnergyIndependence1.pdf
> <http://www.reengineeringllc.com/EnergyIndependence1.pdf>
>
> www.reengineeringllc.com/EnergyIndependence1Video.htm
> <http://www.reengineeringllc.com/EnergyIndependence1Video.htm>
>
> These describe by example a high level interoperation of data from
> diverse sources.    (03)

That's a good example of "A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary
English with an example semantically linking DOE data."  I'll add
the first URL above to my collection of slides on controlled NLs.
See slides 22 to 26 of http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/cnl4ss.pdf    (04)

But the number of interesting wikis and systems for LOD is
overwhelming.  The web page on Semantics for Interoperable Systems
addresses theoretical issues of logic, ontology, and methodologies.
The four section headings indicate the topics:    (05)

  1. From the Conceptual Schema to the Semantic Web
  2. The IKRIS Project
  3. A Foundation for Multiple Logics
  4. Supporting an Open-ended Diversity    (06)

See the excerpts below for some citations that are central to the
main themes.  I'm looking for documents that develop those themes.    (07)

John
__________________________________________________________________    (08)

First-order theories of individual concepts and propositions, an article
written by John McCarthy in 1979 and updated many times over the years.
This version from 2000 is closely related to nearly all the other
documents mentioned on this web page.
http://www.jfsowa.com/ikl/McCarthy00    (09)

Semantic web development, the original proposal submitted by Tim
Berners-Lee in February 2000. Its central feature was the Semantic Web
Logic Language (SWeLL) as a “unifying language for classical logic.”  It
proposed SWeLL as an “augmented language” designed to support “the power
of KR systems.” As examples of the logics that SWeLL must support, the
proposal cited KIF, KQML, Prolog, LOOM, semantic networks, higher-order
logics, nonmonotonic logics, and context logics.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/sw/DevelopmentProposal    (010)

Computational logic: memories of the past and challenges for the future,
by John Alan Robinson in 2000. A wide range of logics considered as
“first order theories, syntactically sugared in notationally convenient
forms.” ... At the end, he stated eight challenges for future research.
http://www.jfsowa.com/ikl/Robinson00.pdf    (011)

Tossing algebraic flowers down the great divide, by Joseph Goguen in
1997. Observations about the “great divide” between research in computer
science and practice in mainstream IT. Goguen emphasized the need for
ontological diversity with “support for multiple evolving ontologies.”
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~goguen/pps/tcs97.pdf    (012)