Re: [ontolog-forum] Data Silos

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 15:10:30 -0500
Hans and Frank,    (01)

I believe that the SCOPE document is important:    (02)

HP
> You might also be interested in the NCOIC SCOPE model document:
> https://www.ncoic.org/images/technology/SCOPE_MODEL_VER1.0.pdf    (03)

And I agree with Frank's qualifications:    (04)

FG
> one significant limitation with SCOPE is that it only allows adjacent
> Silos (I.e. “one degree of separation”) to be directly compared against
> each other, in order to find their scopes and their potential for
> interoperability.    (05)

But I don't believe that the new developments in technology change
the fundamental issues about interoperability:    (06)

FG
> I would stress that technology has changed significantly since 2008,
> along with the massive growth in data volumes.    (07)

The basic issues were recognized and addressed in attempts to support
interoperability since the conceptual schema work in the 1970s and
'80s.  For issues about "perspectives", I'll suggest an article by
John Zachman and me in 1992:    (08)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/sowazach.pdf    (09)

Zachman's original framework had three columns, and he was thinking
of extending it with more columns.  I suggested an approach that is as
old as Aristotle:  Assign a question word to each column -- the answer
to that question leads to the content in the column.    (010)

When you multiply the six question words (What? How? Where? Who?
When? Why?) by the five roles (Planner, Owner, Designer, Builder,
Subcontractor), you get 30 different perspectives on every system.    (011)

The ISA framework is a systematic reminder that each question leads
to a different perspective for each role.  Even a single person playing
more than one role will have different perspectives for each role and
each question.  But all the perspectives are interrelated.    (012)

HP
> We also have a questionnaire version of the SCOPE model that you
> might find useful.    (013)

The questions are often more important than the answers.
I'd like to see them.    (014)