Re: [ontolog-forum] Data Silos

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 01:50:49 -0500
Frank,    (01)

We're using the word 'basic' in different senses.  The details
you're discussing are at the bottom of the subcontractor level
in the Zachman framework:    (02)

> “signal crosstalk” (on circuit boards, on integrated circuits, between
> wires, etc.).  At slow speeds with moderate signal strengths, there is
> little or negligible crosstalk.    (03)

Please note the 30 different perspectives of the Zachman framework.
See Figures 6 and 7 of http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/sowazach.pdf    (04)

Zachman's primary domain of application was the aerospace industry.
But the ISA framework is just as useful for analyzing ways of talking
about or thinking about anything -- silicon chips, chocolate chips, etc.    (05)

I won't claim that the 30 perspectives are the only ways of thinking or
talking about a system.  There's an infinity of possible perspectives.
But 30 is better than 1 as an approximation to infinity.    (06)

I collaborated with John Z. for that article, but I would also cite
Figure 2-1 (p. 12) of the SCOPE report.  The details of the execution
environment (bottom of that diagram) are the level you're discussing.
I was talking about the issues closer to the top (architecture level).    (07)