Re: [ontolog-forum] A flow chart with open-source NLP tools

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 13:51:42 -0400
On 9/29/14 1:35 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> [...]
>> becomes so complex that a different format would be better.
>>
>> JFS
>> KI
>>> The HTTP URI <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this>, when placed in the
>>> address bar of any browser simply resolves to an HTML document that
>>> lists a collection of Tweets.
>> Yes, but acronyms are notoriously ambiguous.
>
> I will add some more nanotations at the end of this response, in
> regards to the acronym issue referred to above.
>
>>   Just type any
>> acronym to Wikipedia to find amusing examples.
>
> Yes, I understand that, and will add more emphasis via RDF statements
> in my next batch of nanotations.
>

>> I have found that outside AI and related areas, 'NLP' refers to
>> that bunch of quacks that claim to be doing neuro-linguistics.
>> They have a lot more money for TV ads.
>>
>> KI
>>> http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9C3K2GJR -- a description of what
>>> <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP> actually identifies (or names)
>>> modulo owl:sameAs reasoning and inference
>> I agree that your URIBurner can be useful for untangling such tags.
>
> URIBurner is just an RDF statement processor.
>
>> But I have a request and a suggestion about that page:
>>
>> Request:  In the following quotation, please replace "that NLP" with
>> "Neuro-linguistic programming" to make it clear what I'm criticizing.
>> And there's no need to mention my name, just quote Wikipedia.
>
> Okay, see nanotation below. Either way, you are participating in the
> discourse emerging here, so you are associated etc..
>

>>> (014) As Wikipedia says about that NLP, 'The balance of scientific
>>> evidence reveals NLP to be a largely discredited pseudoscience' --
>>> John F. Sowa.
>> The two kinds of NLP are totally unrelated.  The following two entries
>> imply that there is some relationship:
>
> They are related, just by the fact that both are mentioned in the
> discourse emerging here :-)
>

>>> sameAs Natural language processing
>>>
>>> has related Neuro-linguistic programming
>
> Yes, by way of this email thread.
>
>> On LinkeIn, NLP usually means natural language processing.  But on
>> Facebook, it usually means quackery.  They are disjoint.
>>
>> Suggestion:  The term 'computational linguistics' is a synonym
>> for 'natural language processing'.  You might add more to the
>> URIBurner page to say that.
>>

> ## Nanotation Start ##
>
> <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this>
> is foaf:primary topic of
> <http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2014-09/msg00091.html> ;
> skos:altLabel "Computational Linguistics" ;
> rdfs:comment """ As Wikipedia says about that NLP, 'The balance of
> scientific
> evidence reveals NLP to be a largely discredited pseudoscience. """ ;
> rdfs:commment """The term 'Computational Linguistics' is a synonym for
> 'Natural Language Processing'.""" ;
> skos:related dbpedia:Computational_linguistics ;
> rdfs:seeAlso  dbpedia:Neuro-linguistic_programming .

The nanotations above weren't picked up by the URIBurner processor, due
to typos (note: rdfs:commment), so here's a fixed rendition:    (02)

## Nanotation Start ##    (03)

<https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this>
is foaf:primary topic of
<http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2014-09/msg00091.html> ;    (04)

skos:altLabel "Computational Linguistics" ;    (05)

rdfs:comment """ As Wikipedia says about that NLP, 'The balance of
scientific evidence reveals NLP to be a largely discredited
pseudoscience'. """ ;    (06)

rdfs:comment """ The term 'Computational Linguistics' is a synonym for
'Natural Language Processing'. """ ;    (07)

skos:related dbpedia:Computational_linguistics ;    (08)

rdfs:seeAlso  dbpedia:Neuro-linguistic_programming .    (09)

## Nanotation End ##    (010)

--
Regards,    (011)

Kingsley Idehen