Re: [ontolog-forum] A flow chart with open-source NLP tools

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 09:01:50 -0400
On 9/28/14 11:27 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> On 9/28/2014 3:52 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Here's a collection of statements that associate the YouTube
>> video with NLP which is identified by the HTTP URI
>> <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this>
> That is a bad example, for several reasons:    (01)

I don't think this could be characterized as a bad example, in the very
worst case, the relations could be confusing, or subjectively inaccurate
etc..    (02)

>    1. The kind of NLP that the URI points to happens to be a video about
>       Neuro-Linguistic Programming, not Natural Language Processing.    (03)

I don't think so.    (04)

The HTTP URI <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this>, when placed in the
address bar of any browser simply resolves to an HTML document that
lists a collection of Tweets. Basically, because
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP> is providing connotation (in the Web
medium) for <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this>.    (05)

If you pass <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this> through my URIBurner
instance, where there are actual RDF based relations in place for a
richer connotation of that URIs referent, you end up with:    (06)

[1] http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9C3K2GJR -- a description of what
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP> actually identifies (or names) modulo
owl:sameAs reasoning and inference    (07)

[2] http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/8EINP4 -- a richer description of
what <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP> actually identifies (or names)
with owl:sameAs reasoning and inference enabled (so you have a merge of
my sparse description combined with a richer description from Wikipedia
via DBpedia).    (08)

>    2. As Wikipedia says about that NLP, "The balance of scientific
>       evidence reveals NLP to be a largely discredited pseudoscience."
>       See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming .
>
>    3. If you need further evidence to support point #2, note that the
>       cover slide of that video shows an outline of a human head with
>       the brain highlighted.  Unfortunately, whoever made that slide
>       inserted the brain into the head *backwards* -- it may have been
>       a careless mistake, but nobody in that organization noticed.    (09)

All I am doing is describing something, I am not expressing any
particular deep views about the subject matter. Put differently, I am
demonstrating how I can collate information about a subject from a
variety of sources via the power of RDF based Linked Open Data.

> As another example of ambiguous acronyms, there was an AI course in the
> agricultural branch of some university (it might have been Texas A & M).
> But it was about a different subject:  Artificial Insemination.
>
> Yet the course description was actually quite appropriate.  If you
> made a global replacement of 'knowledge' for 'semen', you'd get
> a description of methods for knowledge acquisition and application.    (010)

I sort of deliberately set this in motion to get something like this out
in the open. Basically, in situations like this, you can add some
triples to enrich the subject matter description. You don't anyone's
permission etc.. just drop a few nanotations and we end up with a much
richer subject matter understanding.    (011)

> John

## Nanotation Start ##    (013)

<https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this>
rdfs:comment """    (014)

As Wikipedia says about that NLP, 'The balance of scientific
evidence reveals NLP to be a largely discredited pseudoscience' -- John F. Sowa.

skos:related dbpedia:Neuro-linguistic_programming .    (016)

## Nanotation End ##    (017)

--
Regards,    (018)

Kingsley Idehen