Re: [ontolog-forum] A flow chart with open-source NLP tools

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 13:35:26 -0400
On 9/29/14 11:14 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Michael, Kingsley, and Dick,
>
> In this morning's email, I found an announcement that illustrates
> the difficulties of analyzing and untangling ambiguities in NLs.
> To see the complexity of the issues, browse through the abstracts
> about detecting "Evidentiality and Modality" in documents:
>
> http://www.ucm.es/data/cont/docs/759-2014-09-16-EMEL14-BOOK_OF_ABSTRACTS.pdf
>
> MB
>> What about neural networks and feature vectors / word embeddings?
> I agree that there are many other tools that should be included.
> A one-slide flow chart is useful.  But when you dig deeper, it
> becomes so complex that a different format would be better.
>
> JFS
>>> 1. The kind of NLP that the URI points to happens to be a video about
>>>     Neuro-Linguistic Programming, not Natural Language Processing.
> KI
>> The HTTP URI <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this>, when placed in the
>> address bar of any browser simply resolves to an HTML document that
>> lists a collection of Tweets.
> Yes, but acronyms are notoriously ambiguous.    (01)

I will add some more nanotations at the end of this response, in regards
to the acronym issue referred to above.    (02)

>   Just type any
> acronym to Wikipedia to find amusing examples.    (03)

Yes, I understand that, and will add more emphasis via RDF statements in
my next batch of nanotations.    (04)

> I have found that outside AI and related areas, 'NLP' refers to
> that bunch of quacks that claim to be doing neuro-linguistics.
> They have a lot more money for TV ads.
>
> KI
>> http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9C3K2GJR -- a description of what
>> <https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP> actually identifies (or names)
>> modulo owl:sameAs reasoning and inference
> I agree that your URIBurner can be useful for untangling such tags.    (05)

URIBurner is just an RDF statement processor.    (06)

> But I have a request and a suggestion about that page:
>
> Request:  In the following quotation, please replace "that NLP" with
> "Neuro-linguistic programming" to make it clear what I'm criticizing.
> And there's no need to mention my name, just quote Wikipedia.    (07)

Okay, see nanotation below. Either way, you are participating in the
discourse emerging here, so you are associated etc..    (08)

>> (014) As Wikipedia says about that NLP, 'The balance of scientific
>> evidence reveals NLP to be a largely discredited pseudoscience' --
>> John F. Sowa.
> The two kinds of NLP are totally unrelated.  The following two entries
> imply that there is some relationship:    (09)

They are related, just by the fact that both are mentioned in the
discourse emerging here :-)    (010)

>> sameAs Natural language processing
>>
>> has related Neuro-linguistic programming    (011)

Yes, by way of this email thread.    (012)

> On LinkeIn, NLP usually means natural language processing.  But on
> Facebook, it usually means quackery.  They are disjoint.
>
> Suggestion:  The term 'computational linguistics' is a synonym
> for 'natural language processing'.  You might add more to the
> URIBurner page to say that.
>
>    (013)

## Nanotation Start ##    (014)

<https://twitter.com/hashtag/NLP#this>
is foaf:primary topic of
<http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2014-09/msg00091.html> ;
skos:altLabel "Computational Linguistics" ;
rdfs:comment """ As Wikipedia says about that NLP, 'The balance of
scientific
evidence reveals NLP to be a largely discredited pseudoscience. """ ;
rdfs:commment """The term 'Computational Linguistics' is a synonym for
'Natural Language Processing'.""" ;
skos:related dbpedia:Computational_linguistics ;
rdfs:seeAlso  dbpedia:Neuro-linguistic_programming .    (015)

## Nanotation End ##    (016)

--
Regards,    (017)

Kingsley Idehen