Re: [ontolog-forum] Toward Human-Level Artificial Intelligence

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:46:21 -0400
On 4/26/14 1:32 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> KI
>> >For RDF based Linked Data in the burgeoning LOD cloud, its all about
>> >terms. Words are simply used for annotations that provide hints.
>> >The evolution of DBpedia across many different human languages
>> >is a live showcase of all of this in action.
> The DBpedia terms are at the same level of vagueness as Schema.org.    (01)

No they aren't. You can reason using the DBpedia ontology, you can't
using Schema.org without using some post processing to fix all its
denotation related ambiguities.    (02)

Schema.org is simply about structured data representation, its goal has
never been to provide an ontology to which a modicum of semantic
reasoning would sanely apply. This particular endeavor is all about
providing an important bridge for Web Masters and Web Developers to tag
stuff while also contributing enough structure for search engine
ingestion and indexing.    (03)

I do not agree with your characterization at all re., DBpedia and
Schema.org. Also note the existence of YAGO [1], UMBEL [2], alongside
DBpedia's [3] own ontology which provide "context lenses" that can be
used for varying degrees of reasoning by humans and machines.    (04)

> That level of vagueness is sufficiently flexible for a wide range
> of purposes, such as info retrieval or Jeopardy! answers.    (05)

IBM couldn't have used Schema.org for Watson, in the same way they use
DBpedia. Not a chance. Ask them if you doubt what I claim.

> But you won't use data from DBpedia to design an airplane or
> prove a theorem in mathematics.    (06)

Is that the yardstick for an ontology that enables human and machine
based reasoning?    (07)

DBpedia can be used for reasoning while Schema.org cannot be used for
any such adventure, without post processing en route to any kind of
reasoning.    (08)

In my reasoning examples [4], I use "owl:equivalentClass" relations as
part of the critical post-processing step in regards to reasoning using
FOAF or GoodRelations ontologies.    (09)

[1] http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/yago-naga/yago/ -- YAGO
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMBEL -- UMBEL
[3] http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Ontology -- DBpedia Ontology
[4] http://bit.ly/MyzbAh -- Post about reasoning using Schema.org
courtesy of the FOAF and GoodRelations ontologies .    (010)

--     (011)

Regards,    (012)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO