Re: [ontolog-forum] Toward Human-Level Artificial Intelligence

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:04:19 -0400
On 4/25/14 12:01 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> KI
>> >All we can do is provide unique identifiers that denote entities
>> >in a given world view (or situation)...
>> >Basically, as our world view expands we discover new insights etc.
> Yes.  The world is a continuum.  We can name some discrete points, but
> we can't describe a continuum with any set of discrete identifiers.
> Some insights can be described in words, but there are too many
> subtle variations -- uncountably many.    (01)

Fewer *terms* than *words*, which is why terms are the best we have in
regards to "word view"  specific identifiers.    (02)

For RDF based Linked Data in the burgeoning LOD cloud, its all about
terms. Words are simply used for annotations that provide hints. The
evolution of DBpedia [1] across many different human languages is a live
showcase of all of this in action.    (03)

[1] http://dbpedia.org -- DBpedia project which now catching up to
Wikipedia on the multilingual front .    (04)

Regards,    (06)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software