Re: [ontolog-forum] Toward Human-Level Artificial Intelligence

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:28:40 -0400
On 4/23/14 9:47 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
Phil's notation, Tala, is similar to DRS, EGs, and CGs in that it has
a fairly direct mapping to NLs and it uses symbols that have a closer
mapping to NL words and phrases than to URIs.

In fact, this is a point I have often made:  URIs are useful for many
purposes, but they do *not* facilitate natural language understanding.

They don't.

I also hope we don't have any literature relating to Linked Data, RDF, Semantic Web etc., that creates an such misconception.

What all identifiers offer is the ability to denote.

What HTTP based Identifiers offer is the ability to denote and lookup (de-reference) referent descriptions i.e., the digital equivalent of a term.

It is *impossible* for anyone -- human or computer -- to relate a term
from an NL text to a URI that adequately represents that term until
*after* they have analyzed and understood the NL text.

That's also true.  Thus, I am hoping (as stated above) that we don't have literature wondering around the Web that infers otherwise :-)

Using the RDF language (system of signs, syntax, and semantics) via Linked Data (HTTP URIs that denote while also providing description lookup)  one can de-reference an HTTP URI into an entity relations graph, and from there (subject to software) apply reasoning and inference [1][2][3].

[1] http://bit.ly/MyzbAh -- Class Equivalence based Reasoning & Inference
[2] http://bit.ly/1gNw45f -- Using the British Royal Family data from DBpedia to Demonstrate Inference & Reasoning
[3] http://bit.ly/1dr9mbj -- DBpedia Data Cleansing aided by Inference & Reasoning .
--