Re: [ontolog-forum] metaphysical context

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:58:44 -0400
Pat,    (01)

I'll be interested in what Dick's response is to your question. This reminds
me of last year's discussion on this forum regarding what I called
Conceptual Reality, and an even more dynamic/ephemeral  subset I called
"Social Reality". You might recall we used the concept of "school district"
as an example, since there is generally no way to use sensory inputs to
determine the location and extent of a school district - one has to consult
some human individual or institutional construct. The current market value
of the buildings inside that school district boundary might be an example of
"social reality" (as opposed to "book" value or "assessed value") because
you need to poll or sample a population of individuals/institutions to
determine that "fact".  In an information system context these distinctions
are important because they determine how you can ascertain the current state
of reality important to the objectives and functionality of the information
system in question. Do I get the information from some sensor array, or do I
consult some set of users, or do I Interrogate some institutional surrogate
system (aka "authoritative source" or "enterprise system" )on the network?
The term "augmented reality" has come into use for information systems that
manifest conceptual and social realities as super-positioned visualizations
on top of views of physical reality (so you can "see" or otherwise "sense"
that school district boundary)    (02)

Yes, your thoughts are a physical reality, but one would be hard pressed to
use some sensor array to determine what they are without your willingness to
write or vocalize them. More importantly, having everyone else (or at least
most people) accept your enforceable ownership of those thoughts in say, a
copyrighted work, is a conceptual reality. And whether your work is
"popular" or accepted as valuable by some community is a social reality.
Increasingly, networked information systems make these non-physically
detectable realities more broadly accessible and "detectable" through the
contributions of individuals and institutions who implement representations
of conceptual and social reality (and also representations of physical
reality) that are accessible in cyberspace .    (03)

Hans    (04)

Hans    (05)