Re: [ontolog-forum] metaphysical context

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhmccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 03:19:48 -0700
Hi Doug

A lot of questions!  I will try to answer all of them.  But I want to address two recurring themes first.

The purpose of the "independent of man" context  is to demonstrate "primacy of existence".
That is, there are real things, with real characteristics, described by real propositions, which have
nothing to do with man, and were not created by man.  The opposing view, "primacy of consciousness"
says that reality is created by man's mind.  You might think that man's inventions support that, but
man is merely manipulating reality, not creating it.
In this particular context, I am making the distinction because part of man's mental context,
the RDF definition of Class, was "inserted" into the physical context, causing a lot of confusion.

Which leads me to your related question re: "conceptual works".  Of course they are part of the
real world where men interact in social groups, and you have every right to call that the "physical
context".  But that is not the same "physical context" that this email thread started in.  We started
with some problems concerning RDF Class -- a very limited scope.
Define the context that you want.

 I will try to answer the rest of your questions very briefly >> see below.
Feel free to email me off list if you want more discussion.

Dick McCullough
Context Knowledge Systems
mKE and the mKR language
mKR/mKE tutorial