Re: [ontolog-forum] Hermeneutics and semiotics

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 21:57:21 +0000
John,    (01)

Mechanical clocks and lenses were among the ideas that I referred to as
advances in engineering and materials knowledge.     (02)

Sundials may have been popular in the village squares, but Islam and Byzantium
had been using horologes (water clocks, fancy hour glasses) for accurate
timekeeping since the 7th century, and I think they actually go back to the 1st
century.  And of course, European naval vessels "struck the bells and turned
the glass" into the 18th century, but they rather postdate the 13th century.
Mechanical clocks were definitely a European advance in the 13th century.    (03)

One can argue about polyphonic music.  Experts have pulled out 8th century
monks who had two-part chants.  It is true, however, that it became an accepted
form of ecclesiatical and, for the first time, popular music (rounds) in 13th
century Europe.  (I believe polyphonic music arose independently in India about
the same time.)  Polyphonic instrumental music came a bit later, and first
bloomed in the 16th century.    (04)

We should not, I think, be surprised to see that the rising mercantile economy
begot bookkeeping practices and a corresponding growth in basic mathematics.
The first banking practices, including letters of credit, also began in Europe
in this timeframe, although they were constrained by usury laws.  Banking was
already long established (perhaps 400 years) in the Arab world.  It had a
mercantile economy in 900, and it involved moving goods over great distances.
Notably, banking was also practiced in the kingdoms of the upper Niger in the
14th century, largely because the region produced gold in significant
quantities and imported everything else.  They probably adopted practices from
the Arab world they traded with.    (05)

These are fascinating subjects, but it is not clear that they have anything
much to do with knowledge engineering.  (I suppose we are touching on the work
of the FIBO folk, but they probably don't care much about 13th century
instruments.)    (06)

-Ed    (07)