Re: [ontolog-forum] Hermeneutics and semiotics (was FWD: mKR2IKL)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 13:52:20 -0400
On 4/1/14 10:41 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> In science, it's not a good idea to change the words every time you
> change the definition.  URIs are good for finding documents, but I
> have very serious doubts about the philosophy of replacing vague
> words with supposedly "precise" URIs.    (01)

In the context of RDF based Linked Data, an HTTP URI simply functions
like a term such that it can denote an entity while also providing a
reference to a representation of the description of the denoted entity
i.e., the HTTP URI's referent. This feature of HTTP URIs provides
immense value when used in conjunction with RDF, as demonstrated by the
Linked Open Data cloud where:    (02)

1. identifiers can be opaque .    (03)

2. Identifiers can be associated with labels via relations based on
rdfs:label, skos:prefLabel, skos:altLabel, rdfs:comment,
dcterms:description or any combination of these annotation oriented
relationship properties (we all know a single label is never really good
enough, most of the time) .    (04)

In  the Linked Data scenario, there is no replacement by URIs since they
simply act as conduits to entity descriptions.    (05)

Links:    (06)

[1] http://bit.ly/19NRwnB -- Glossary of Terms document that
demonstrates my point.    (07)

Regards,    (09)