Re: [ontolog-forum] Hermeneutics and semiotics (was FWD: mKR2IKL)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 21:10:30 +0000

Bruce,

The helix I had in mind is a spring, in which time is distance along the wire.  The two floor dimensions just represent a spectrum of views of the world, and the vertical dimension represents the degree of refinement and clarity in content of the formal philosophy.  So over time, we cycle through many views and dimensions but we gradually develop greater clarity of thought (and a better understanding of the differences in view – the other dimensions), largely by being better informed about the thinking that went before us.  As John points out, the lateral changes of position tend to lose insights as much as they gain insights.  Whether the spring is cylindrical or conical or has some bizarre cross-sectional curve (e.g., Coke bottle) I don’t want to consider.  My description of it as a spiral would suggest a conical form, but whether the apex is at the top or the bottom I did not say, and I think it best that I retract that adjective.  J

I strongly agree that advancements in communication affect the development of human knowledge: From the Great Leap Forward (speech?) to writing to printing to radio and telephones to satellite TV and the Internet to whatever the next 20 years brings.

Now, as to constructing an ontology for a 15th century world view, I will leave that to others.  (As Dick McCullough said of fictional worlds, “it is not clear that the laws of logic apply in that world.”  I am reminded of L. Sprague deCamp’s “Incomplete Enchanter”.)

-Ed