Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Charles Fillmore died at age 84

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 23:18:59 -0500

I did ask Terry Halpin about Filmore, and he said that he knew of Filmore's work because Terry's mentor, Sjir Nijssen, created the initial data modelling technique that Terry morphed into Object Role Modelling.   And Sjir Nijssen was strongly influenced by Fillmore.

My discussion with him reminded me of the fundamental tenent in all of this work from Wittgenstein -- "The world is the totality of facts, not things."  I have found this  right phenominologically, that is, as a 'philosophical' ontology, since 'things' are more of a mental construct than (perceptions of) fields of color, say (i.e. maybe "tropes".)

But, more importantly, I have found that n-ary relations with n = 0 to *, together with roles (my 'computer science' meta-ontology or upper ontology) is a more expressive,  more flexible,  simpler, way to represent knowledge for computing purposes than 'entities', 'attributes, and 'relationships' (an can easily be done with UML diagrams).

In any case ,  Fillmore's Case Grammar, Halpin's Roles, can be used to tie linguistic categories to upper ontology categories.  (the agent, the affected, the beneficiary, the instrument, etc.)   This is different from an attempt to tie ontology categories to parts of speech, which I believe is quite misguided, since a single concept can be cast in one language or another as most ANY part of speech, and in almost all languages, as several parts of speech.  (In fact, I think this is the mistake in E/R analysis, the most common computer science meta-ontology, as 'attributes' are tropes as used to describe something else.  In other words, I don't see the benefit, from an ontological or knowledge representation point of view, of distinguishing blue as a an attribute (or adjective, in English), the color blue as a 'thing', blueness as an abstraction, and the act of being blue (a verb in some languages, as the act of being silent is a verb in German) (the only color verbs in English are about the act of changing color (lighten, darken, mottle, embrown)).   I think that these differences of parts of speech can better be discerned by the USE of the concept (for example, blue) in the given context.

I strongly recommend taking a look at Halpin's work.

Wm