Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Charles Fillmore died at age 84

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 23:15:29 -0500
Yes, thanks so much

I had forgotten about this, it is a very nice piece

I would surely agree with John that there were similar insights long before.   For example, in Zellig Harris's transformational grammar, he would define a set of transformations like the different buy-sell-goods-cost structures mentioned in the article.  And Harris's EXPLICIT and oft repeated fundamental assertion was that semantics is included or mplicit in grammar, not separate from it, and he acknowledge Sapir as the originator of this though.  So, reading Lakoff say that he had begun to 'suspect' this, a generation and a half after Harris,  is, oh, I don't know, ....

Also, remembering frames from Fillmore led me to recall that Terry Halpin's excellent work in Object Role Modelling, and realize finally it is ***just so close to Filmore's work*** it is astounding.  Halpin even uses the same word 'frame' in the same way, to define a sort of deep structure for a 'fact type.'

I do not believe they knew about each other's work.  I will ask Terry.

Wm