Re: [ontolog-forum] Person, Boy, Man

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 14:26:37 -0500
On 2/13/2014 1:56 PM, John McClure wrote:
Nice summary Robert. With respect to legal definition of a Person, I suggest Entity as a supertype of Person, an Association being a subtype thereof.  In this way, the common bundle of legal rights accorded to Associations and Persons can be delineated. Also, I thought rigidity applies to property associations, not classes. Since a class is defined in part by the set of properties associable to its individuals in a rigid semirigid or unrigid manner, it's not helpful/factual to ever characterize a *class* as rigid or not.
/jmc
Agreed, it is a nice summary. I think we need to make the distinction between a reference to an instance of a person and a reference to an abstract class. Perhaps this goes back to the distinction between uses for dbases and AI. In my view "person" is an unspecified pronoun for an unspecified individual or person-type entity. For example, your spouse wakes you up and says, "There's a person in the basement. What are you going to do?" Maybe that "preson" is a raccoon. This is why I think an info statement about intended use is very important..

-John Bottoms