Re: [ontolog-forum] Person, Boy, Man

To: "doug@xxxxxxxxxx" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Martijn Tromm <martijntromm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:19:29 +0100
Indeed, grammar facilitates the instrumental use of 'modes' of concepts. Besides adjectival and nominal forms of the same concept, you also can have deverbal nouns and denominal verbs. Which form you use depends on what you want to express, what the center of attention is and thus what becomes the subject of the sentence. Do you want to stress that Pete runs or do you want to say something about the running of Pete.

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014, doug foxvog <doug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, February 12, 2014 13:21, John McClure wrote:
> I wouldn't say a female (an adjective) is a person (noun).

The word "female" is both an adjective and a noun.

Female people (persons) are people/persons.

Female plants, female non-human animals, and female organism parts are
not people/persons.

> Neither female nor male is a subtype of person.
> I argue there are obvious guidelines relating grammatical stuff to
> ontology stuff.
> For instance, adjective-things are never subtypes of noun-things.

Ontologies don't need to deal with words and parts of speech.
The concept of adjective-things and noun-things is not useful
in general for ontologies.  The ways a language uses terms for
various concepts can be informative, of course.

-- doug f