Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology is affected by Personality

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 08:48:53 -0800

Unlike Humpty Dumpty, I use the word “reality” in its natural usage.  Reality to most people has nothing whatsoever to do with the physics of that situation but instead describes the subset of things we find valuable in our existence.  That involves our personal situation as well as the situation of those around us.

To say that the reality faced by a college student taking NLP classes is the actual experience he gets in college is what most college students would agree to.  The same is true of housewives, truck drivers, advertising executives and politicians.

In my opinion, the reality we each deal with is made up of our daily events, and their effects on our lives.  Quarks and leptons don’t bother me much, and I certainly wouldn’t waste a lot of time developing an ontology for quarks and leptons.  But I would certainly spend a lot of time developing tools and capabilities that let the students, housewives, truck drivers, advertising execs and politicians look at material on the web which relates to colleges, houses, trucks, ads and voters.

Not so much quarks and leptons.

I stand by my use of the word reality as I used it.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com