Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology is affected by Personality

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:19:03 -0500
On 1/28/2014 8:00 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
> I use it [the word reality] in at least two ways...    (01)

As Humpty Dumpty said, you have the right to use any word in any way
that you please.  But if you insist on doing that, you're not going
to be understood, or people will think you're being a crank.    (02)

The points I was trying to make:    (03)

  1. We all have different backgrounds, preferences, habits, and
     personal dialects (idiolects).    (04)

  2. We also have conventions for communicating with other people
     with other habits when we want to -- or when we don't want to.    (05)

  3. For more effective communication with people (and for designing
     computer systems that communicate more effectively), it's
     important to recognize those issues.    (06)

> I don’t even think we live by any one ontology for much more than
> an hour or two at a time before moving to a new frame of reference,
> and therefore a new governing ontology.    (07)

That is true.  But if you want to communicate effectively with another
person or a group of people, you have to negotiate a common vocabulary
and ontology with sufficient overlap to minimize the misunderstandings.    (08)

And that negotiation is continuously being renegotiated -- unless the
group agrees to (stipulates) some basic assumptions, either explicitly
or implicitly (common consent).    (09)