Re: [ontolog-forum] The tools are not the problem

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:01:07 -0500
On 1/22/14 11:33 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> One of the arguments for the RDF triples was that some simple examples
> could be easily mapped to an English-like subject-verb-object form.
> In practice, the mappings are more complex and far less readable.
>    (01)

I agree with your general thesis, in regards to your entire response.
That said, I've yanked out the excerpt above (from your post) to address
the concerns about RDF triple based statements and readability. In my
experience, it is possible to express and represent observation (entity
relationships) using RDF that maps to simple natural language statements
[1]. I've even covered this in a recently published presentation titled
"Understanding Data" [2][3].    (02)

The problem with RDF is that RDF/XML messed things up, and the W3C
didn't address this problem in a timely fashion. Today, we have
notations such as N-Triples, Turtle, JSON-LD, HTML+Microdata (used by
Schema.org), HTML+RDFa etc.. that all make RDF value proposition much
easier to comprehend and exploit.    (03)

Links:    (04)

[1] http://bit.ly/1dUSAFG -- Description of RDF using a variety of
notations (default is human readable HTML)
[2] http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/understanding-29894555/51 --
Natural Language & Data section
[3] http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/understanding-29894555 -- entire
"Understanding Data" presentation.    (05)

Regards,    (07)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software