Re: [ontolog-forum] Strawman Privacy Ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John McClure <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:54:54 -0800
Hello Michael-
I agree with you that the P3P ontology is the sort of information that needs to be transmitted.

But its 93 (!) properties and classes, and more than 600 individuals (many being classes themselves), are an example of the unnecessary complexity that I rail about in ontologies being produced today. So it's no wonder to me institutional uptake is poor to non-existent as a direct result of its complexity; it exhibits problems of over-specification on the one hand, and intense techno-jargon on the other.

Nevertheless the ontology does represent a good effort to indicate some important functional requirements that must be addressed. If only there was a little funding around to support creation of a more useable alternative.
thanks/jmc