Re: [ontolog-forum] Is Big Data intrinsically an invasion of privacy?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:51:26 -0800
It is an invasion of privacy if you do not consent to have your data used as such.  In most cases, people willingly signed over those rights.  Check the ToS on Facebook for example.

Secondly, opting in is not the issue, opting out is.

There is also the concept of context and traverse ability.  I may have your weight recorded but in a manner where it is not directly attributable to you without further correlation.  Cookies are a good example of this.

Duane Nickull
Technoracle Advanced Systems Inc.
Consulting and Contracting; Proven Results!
i.  Neo4J, PDF, Java, LiveCycle ES, Flex, AIR, CQ5 & Mobile
t.  @duanenickull

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. If you are the intended recipient, please consider this a privileged communication, not to be forwarded without explicit approval from the sender.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. The originator reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks for quality control purposes.