Re: [ontolog-forum] LInked Data meme revisited

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 00:19:36 +0000
John,    (01)

Let us try to keep this simple.  We disagree.    (02)

>From a cultural point of view, it is easy to understand why Chinese would
>retain its mechanisms for word coinage, ignoring 'foreign' influences, while
>Japanese would be willing to adopt and use.  You may be right that Japanese
>gave up some of its native linguistic practices and Chinese didn't, but I
>think that was as much about culture as about linguistics.      (03)

As you noted, 'takashi' is linguistically more economical than chu-zu-qi-che,
so Japanese made a choice based on economy instead of tradition, especially
since translating something like the Chinese characterization into Japanese
might have been 15 syllables.  The Chinese language is older and more
economical in the first place; so the cost wasn't high, but in use the Chinese
still abbreviate the term to che (wagon) and use context to determine the
intent.  Economy of expression is a strong motivator in determining coinage.    (04)

To say that the choice of word for Taxi was a consequence of a conflict of
linguistic mechanisms that somehow impoverished Japanese seems very difficult
to support, in the presence of culture and language economy influences.    (05)

As to the following:
> No.  When there are multiple paradigms for word formation, they tend to
> become moribund or drastically simplified.    (06)

I would like to know your reference for this.  Languages and their formative
elements become simplified over time, with or without multiple coinage
paradigms.  The choice of coinage paradigms, when there is such a choice, is,
as your example of 'celestial spheres' indicates,  a characteristic of cultural
influences at least as much as language influences.  We didn't lose the ability
to coin 'starsight' or 'fireman' just because the culture of the time dictated
that we use 'existence' instead of 'beingness'.  I think you will find that the
usage of Germanic and Romance coinage mechanisms is still quite robust in
English.      (07)

>  English retained a few, but most of them are not as productive as they were
>in their original languages.     (08)

The obvious interpretation of that statement is clearly true and irrelevant.
If the original language only has one mechanism, it will be used for every
coinage.  If the language has two mechanisms, it is probable that individual
usages will be more like 50-50.  So is the mechanism less productive in the
language that has two mechanisms?   And the rate of knowledge acquisition since
1066 has increased just a bit over that of Anglo-Saxon England.  So, what kind
of measurement is this?      (09)

We tend to use more Germanic noun phrases and fewer Romance turns of phrase,
more Romance term formation for abstractions and more Germanic term formation
for physical things, etc.  Does that make the other paradigms "less
productive"?  I suppose so, but there is only so much coinage to share, and as
I said above, culture and economy will also affect the choice in particular
instances.  Writing coaches suggest we use active voice and verbs rather than
nominalizations, precisely because the commercial and government bureaucratic
cultures have led us to do the opposite.  In a certain sense, that could be
considered a Germanic pushback against the Romance flowery circumlocution.    (010)

Some Germanic practices have disappeared from English, yes.  We don't use ge-
to denote abstractions any more -- we don't have Ge-spice as distinct from
spice(s), as German does. In general, we have simplified the language to use no
prefix for abstractions (just 'spice'), and we also rarely use the French
circumlocution to make the distinction between abstractions and the class of
actual individuals; we make the distinction in context.  I would argue,
however, that the Germanic mechanism has been sidelined by language
simplification, rather than by Romance competition.      (011)

I am no expert in this area.  I could be completely wrong in my contentions.
As I said to Ron, I have only limited education in this area, and it isn't
recent.  At the same time, I was taught: "Qui ne comprend pas la la culture ne
comprend pas la langue."  And it is my experience that that is very relevant to
change in language.    (012)

-Ed    (013)