Re: [ontolog-forum] LInked Data meme revisited

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:00:41 -0500
You need to read what he said more carefully.

He did not say that any language was replaced.

Ron

On 17/12/2013 10:43 AM, Hassan Aït-Kaci wrote:
On 12/17/2013 1:50 PM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
It seems that you are agreeing unless the Berber language is written in another character set.

What???

... besides: yes, Amazigh (Berber, Kabyle) is written in its own script - Tifinagh (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tifinagh.htm). But like any other language, its vocals can also be transcribed in other scripts (mostly Latin and Arabic, but also Greek). See http://marenostrumarcadia.org/index.php for the greco-latin transcription of classical texts in Amazigh.

Be that as it may, and irrespective of that, where do you see that I'm agreeing with John Sowa's statement; viz., "In fact, the only languages that Arabic replaced ...  includes ...  the languages across northern Africa." This statement concerning my Kabyle culture and language is simply incorrect, wrong, inaccurate, false, untrue, or any other qualifier applicable saying that it ain't so! I grew up with the constant frustration that foreigners were adamant at convincing us that we were them and not us ... We learned their languages and cultures (mostly by force) but kept on with ours, thank you. But if it pleases you to think otherwise (that the Berber language and culture have been totally replaced by Arabic), take a trip there; or if you wish to persist, please be my guest: that won't change who we are and the way we speak and what we know. I am expressing myself in English because it has taken over most the world (mostly by force and coercion), in the same way I had to learn French and Arabic: as foreign languages.

-hak

Ron