Re: [ontolog-forum] Biologically inspired cognitive architecture (wasSem

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:37:15 -0800

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

On 11/27/2013 12:32 AM, Rich Cooper wrote:

> Peirce may have gotten it from old Greeks also, but it seems

> too well known to have been originated only so recently as Peirce.

Plato believed that the real world was an imperfect approximation

to the purity of the eternal ideas or forms.  He was the ultimate

armchair philosopher who believed that experiment was irrelevant.

I guess that lets him out as the originator of the discovery square.

Aristotle's father was a physician.  That gave him a much better

appreciation for the need to observe, experiment, and record

the results of the experiments and observations.

The aforesaid cut and fit method, which works a lot better for discovery.

Until the 13th century, Neoplatonism dominated European philosophy.

Physicians followed Galen, who was strongly influenced by Aristotle.

The big revolution occurred when Thomas Aquinas made Aristotle safe

for Christianity.

Why has Ari not so safe prior to TA’s appearance?  Everything I have heard about TA’s point of view is extremely logical defense of church dogma, kind of a super Jesuit.  In his day, the church still dominated political and economic life, such as it was.  How was Ari involved in that?

Roger Bacon and other scientists influenced by

Aristotle developed the scientific methods.  Francis Bacon (16th -

17th c) missed the point when he blamed Aristotle for the stagnation.

Well the old Greeks certainly did stagnate, and the horrid Middle Ages wasted a lot of human capital.  But I thought it was the fall of the Romans as dictators to the known world, thanks to pissed off Barbarians, that threw civilization off the cliff.

Peirce's father had taught him Greek & Latin as a child, and he was

familiar with all of the above.  He credited Aristotle with the three

methods of reasoning:  deduction, induction, and abduction.

I drew the diagram in slide 32 of http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/goal5.pdf

which I used to relate Peirce's cycle of pragmatism to the tools and

techniques developed in AI.

The significant similarity I wanted to emphasize was the brain regions

involved.  The first two steps of the OODA loop (Observe and Orient)

depend on the posterior regions of the brain (parietal, temporal,

and occipital lobes).  But the last two steps (Decide and Act) depend

on the frontal lobes.  James Albus makes that point very strongly in

his diagram (and the paper cited).

But remember that is still only theory.  We have some supporting evidence about what the various regions do, and we are developing ever more refined theories about it with fMRI every day.  But our experiments are still contaminated by our theories because we cannot deconstruct the brains we work on, at least not the human ones, while they are still functional.

That could change in a relatively near term way with all the advances, but we are not there yet.

For the OODA loop and the Albus cycle, see slides 37 and 38 of

http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/goal2.pdf .  The earlier slides in

goal2.pdf go into much more detail (as does the paper by Albus).

But my slides can be useful background before reading Albus.

John

What would you suggest as an intro to Albus?  I found his YouTube on intelligence, but it didn’t present any science or engineering, just a declarative definition of autonomous vehicles and a few examples of current military vehicles.

-Rich