Re: [ontolog-forum] Biologically inspired cognitive architecture (wasSem

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 13:28:00 -0800
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Rich Cooper
<rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

<JS>
> But that analogy is misleading:  The major reason for the Wright
>
> brothers' success is that they studied how birds control their
>
> flight by bending the shape of their wings.  So they invented
>
> "wing warping" to control the flight of their airplanes.

<RC>
> The way I heard it was that Bernoulli’s equations played the significant
> role of suggesting two paths of air travel over a wing and under it having a
> slight difference in length.  The way of least air resistance is to bend one
> side of the wing more than you bend the other side of the wing.  That, in
> effects due to PV=nrT, leads to a force at right angle to the wing.  Up if
> you design it to be so.
>
>    (02)

<JP>
According to a video history of the Wright brothers, they were just
high school educated. That video made it clear that they did, in fact,
mimic wing warping. It seems unlikely to me, though I have no proof
either way, that they knew of the Bernoulli concept.    (03)

This paper gives a reasonable history:
http://faculty.etsu.edu/gardnerr/wright-brothers/bernoulli.pdf    (04)

<JS>

> As a result, the Wright brothers astounded the world by flying
>
> around Paris while the others could only fly in a straight line.

<RC>
> John, I think you must mean someone else besides the Wrights.  They did
> their demonstration at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina due to the stead wind and
> the soft sand dunes which make crashing easier.  By the others who “could
> only fly in a straight line” above, do you mean the dirigibles and balloon
> crafts of that day?

<JP>
A simple web search shows they flew in Paris on May 29, 1908.    (05)