Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Dementia

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 02:29:07 -0500
Rich and John,    (01)

RC

From: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010945213002517
> “Patients learned to assign abstract visual stimuli to two categories.
> The categories conformed to a family resemblance structure in which
> no individual stimulus features were fully diagnostic; thus the task
> required participants to form representations that integrate multiple
> features into a single concept. Patients were unable to do this,
> instead responding only on the basis of individual features.”    (03)

Thanks for the citation.  That article mentions the anterior temporal
lobes as critical "in acquiring new conceptual knowledge."    (04)

For a survey of the brain regions and their functions in language
and reasoning, see slides 25 to 30 of    (05)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/goal2.pdf
    Psycholinguistics and Neuroscience    (06)

This is "Chapter 2" of the slides on "Goal of language understanding."
I split up that huge collection into more manageable "chapters" and
added a few more updates.    (07)

RC
> The way they describe the deficit sounds to me that the loss was
> in deduction, specifically in integrating each of the spokes into
> a coherent response based on all the spokes.    (08)

The frontal lobes are more directly involved in reasoning (of which
deduction is an important aspect).  Your next comment is more accurate
in citing the defect in perception and interpretation.    (09)

RC
> When concepts had multiple spokes, (attributes or properties in
> ontolog talk), the patients couldn’t use multiple properties,
> and relied on just one instead, leading to errors of perception
> and interpretation.    (010)

Any defect in those functions would certainly affect deduction.    (011)

JMC
> The interplay of topic maps and taxonomies, within one's mind,
> surely complexify explanations for this [semantic dementia].    (012)

Yes.  Slides 25 to 27 of goal2.pdf say more about these interactions.
In slide 25, the line marked "Frames/slide/Schemata" points to an
area in the parietal lobe called "Geschwind's area."  That area,
which is also called the inferior parietal cortex, is critical
for cognitive maps that relate and interpret semantic info from
any sources.    (013)

John Sowa    (014)