Re: [ontolog-forum] Crowdsourcing systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:03:39 -0400
Crowdsourcing or volunteered based info is big in the geospatial domain.
Open Street Maps, for example, has been going for a while and providing good map into based on crowdsourcing. You can things like London streets at http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/51.500/-0.100

Mike Goodchild dicussed this idea in "CITIZENS AS SENSORS: THE WORLD OF VOLUNTEERED GEOGRAPHY" in 2008 (http://www.iapad.org/publications/ppgis/Goodchild_VGI2007.pdf) noting some of the underlying technology and approaches and the motivation of volunteers. Since then there has been some steady progress in its use in disasters such as the Haitian Earthquake which demonstrates the power of inline maps, volunteered data, mobile Apps etc.

The Ushahidi Haiti Project (UHP) was a volunteer-driven effort to produce a crisis map after the January 12, 2010 earthquake in Haiti. You can see an evaluation of its effectiveness and plans for improvement such as how to train volunteers at:

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
NSF INTEROP Project
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies