Re: [ontolog-forum] Practical Semantic Primitives

To: <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bruce Schuman" <bruceschuman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 14:50:21 -0700

Re faceted classification, there is also an article that I personally think is quite excellent, that more or less goes over these exact points you make, Phil.  It's very clear, action-oriented, and emphasizes this "simple but powerful" attribute you mention, describing the history of this idea, citing Ranganathan and many others, bringing it up to date, and describing "how to do it" in a basic common-sense web application.

http://www.miskatonic.org/library/facet-web-howto.html

I think what I personally want to do with this article is, explore how and if a "facet" -- like so many other things -- is a "synthetic dimension" (“a dimension of an information structure” – and also, perhaps – a quantitative dimension or measurement that precisely describes the object “in one of its dimensions”, perhaps to some high number of decimal places).

This is the idea that tends to intoxicate my imagination on this theme and tempts me to detect the whiff of breakthrough -- that there is one algebraic concept -- "synthetic dimension" (maybe the same thing as a distinction, if a "dimension is a distinction creates a range of values") that can reliably interpret all these different ideas -- facet, attribute, quality, distinction, property, class, set, ordered class, list, collection -- and of course, dimension.  A dimension can be "quantitative" -- with "one dimensional units" (where the units are exactly identical, like “meters” or “inches” or “pounds”) and also qualitative, where the units are multi-dimensional and “similar but not identical”  (like "ungulates" or “shopping malls” or “high-performance sports cars”).

All these “differentiae” in the Tree of Porphyry are dimensions (“distinctions that create a range of values”), or can be interpreted as such.

http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/kdptut.pdf - slide 18

Is there “a continuous range of values” between “material” and “immaterial”?

If we extend the tree downwards from “Beasts”, we can work through much of biological taxonomy.

Is an “ungulate” (a mammal that walks on its toes or hooves) a “unit” in the dimension “mammals”?  It might be.  It can be if we stipulate it to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ungulate

The big and confusing challenge – I think – is that the terminology is swimming in alternative interpretations – not only within specific disciplines, but with additional complications added when we view this same kind of “parsing” from the perspective of multiple alternative disciplines and different authors and systems and purposes.

Hence the fantasy of extreme parsimonious reduction to “distinction” and “aggregated distinctions” (abstractions with names) – showing how all the terminology is formed in the same way…

Thanks for the Ranganathan article

http://www.isibang.ac.in/~library/portal/Pages/chp6.pdf

cid:image001.png@01CE975E.D47265B0

Bruce Schuman