Re: [ontolog-forum] Taxonomies, cuts, and the decimal system

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bruce Schuman" <bruceschuman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 21:47:04 -0700

With more apologies for being a bit noisy the last couple of days – thanks for these two comments on my inquiry.  I just spent the last 90 minutes or so printing and reading through and marking up JS’s “Appendix A” from Conceptual Structures – http://www.jfsowa.com/logic/math.htm --  a book I first read almost 30 years ago.  I banged hard on the book then, and going through it again is very rewarding.  So, soft little fuzzy notions of appreciation floating upwards….

Maybe it’s just a kind of chronic/addicted craziness – because there is too much to learn, and what mania would suggest some linear compilation of all these things, as if all these wide-ranging differences could be gathered together under one interpretive integration.  I had to laugh when I saw the quote from C.S. Peirce

The task of classifying all the words of language, or what's the same thing, all the ideas that seek _expression_, is the most stupendous of logical tasks. Anybody but the most accomplished logician must break down in it utterly; and even for the strongest man, it is the severest possible tax on the logical equipment and faculty.

Charles Sanders Peirce, letter to editor B. E. Smith of the Century Dictionary

http://www.jfsowa.com/ontology/index.htm

But immediately under that quote is a guiding inspiration from Leibnitz

The art of ranking things in genera and species is of no small importance and very much assists our judgment as well as our memory. You know how much it matters in botany, not to mention animals and other substances, or again moral and notional entities as some call them. Order largely depends on it, and many good authors write in such a way that their whole account could be divided and subdivided according to a procedure related to genera and species. This helps one not merely to retain things, but also to find them. And those who have laid out all sorts of notions under certain headings or categories have done something very useful.

Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, New Essays on Human Understanding

“Order depends on it”  Feeling something identical, for years I followed this quote from Linnaeus:

All the real knowledge which we possess depends on methods by which we distinguish the similar from the dissimilar. The greater the number of natural distinctions this method comprehends the clearer becomes our idea of things. The more numerous the objects which employ our attention the more difficult it becomes to form such a method, and the more necessary.

-- Carolus Linnaeus, Genera Plantarum, 1737

“… and the more necessary”.  I guess that’s the point.

This is all a beautiful meditation, and at the end of this long day, I am simply appreciative of the opportunity.  For somebody with my instincts, there is a flood of guiding wisdom linked over there at http://www.jfsowa.com/ and I just can’t eat it up fast enough.

And just quickly, on these thoughts . . .

Yes, Herbert Simon’s Sciences of the Artificial came out, I believe, in 1969.  That little paperback was a revelation.  Nobody in my world had ever conceived those ideas.  It was startling and transformative.  And this theme – of “the synthetic” – became important.  Before Simon’s book, we kinda tended to think that “organic=good; synthetic=bad”.  What did we know….

The synthetic world is a great object of study for people who want to think about “dimensions” – because the synthetic world is mostly orders of magnitude simpler and easier to diagram.  When I saw my first book on fractals in 1984, The Beauty of Fractals, by Peitgen and Richter – another powerful idea leapt off the page – take it for what it’s worth…

In 1953, I realized that the straight line leads to the downfall of mankind.  The straight line has become an absolute tyranny.  The straight line is something cowardly, drawn with a rule, without thought or feeling; it is the line which does not exist in nature.  And that line is the rotten foundation of our doomed foundation.  Even if there are places where it is recognized that this line is rapidly leading to perdition, its course continues to be plotted. . . Any design undertaken with the straight line will be stillborn.  Today we are witnessing the triumph of rationalist knowhow and yet, at the same time, we find ourselves confronted with emptiness.  An aesthetic void, desert of uniformity, criminal sterility, loss of creative power.  Even creativity is prefabricated.  We are no longer able to create.  That is our real illiteracy…”

Friedensreich Hundertwasser

So for me, a compulsive linearizer and integrator, this is a jarring and evocative statement.  Think about the great organic world – of endless prairies and wetlands -- suddenly bounded with straight-line barb-wire fences stretching for miles, blocking out the buffalo and the first peoples.  There is no straight line in nature.  I have a great book on that theme of “circle” and “square” – about the first nations people, who built their world in a circle, and who were almost crushed out of existence by people who did everything in squares, building everything out of 2x4’s…

So, maybe there some “circle-squaring” somehow down at the ultimate center of all this analysis.  I suspect it’s true, I think it’s a huge key to reconciliation, even if I can’t explain it…

Thanks for these observations and suggestions, Joseph.  This “science of generic design” looks like my kind of thing…..

The second source of information is "A Science of Generic Design", by John N. Warfield

The Law of Gradation is outlined along with the ideas of gradation, structure, object language and metalanguage.....

These two sources may provide a similar, yet different view on the content of your post...

One key aspect is the idea of abstraction and context..

   ...at one level of abstraction a  given system may look like a hierarchy..

   ...at another level of abstraction a given system may look like a network...

   ...and at yet another level of abstraction a given system may look like a point...

Network – Hierarchy – Point………

Hmmm.  The first web site I ever built – was about a “point” – supposedly “the center” – supposedly the top-level root node of the entire internet hard-drive directory architecture, at origin.org

Again, thanks.

Bruce Schuman