Re: [ontolog-forum] Context and Inter-annotator agreement

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 17:49:26 -0400
John,
   We clearly differ about whether people actually have stored discrete word
"senses" - I suspect it depends on how you view those senses in a
connectionist brain, but I think whatever the actual physical
representation, they exist  and can be represented by ontological entities.    (01)

>[PC]
 >> one of the challenges in developing a primitives-based foundation
 >> ontology is to determine, from constructing logical specifications of
 >> word meaning, just how many senses of the basic words are required to
 >> account for all of the needed primitive senses used in definitions

[JFS}  >If you want to do that kind of work, that's your choice.  But we
have been
 >getting very good results at VivoMind with only the kinds of lexical
resources
 >I mentioned in my previous note -- supplemented with very detailed
 >domain-dependent ontologies for specific applications.
 >    (02)

   Yes, I think that we should let a thousand flowers bloom.  Of course,
some weeds put out very pretty flowers too.   Time will tell what is useful
in the long term.  I don't expect that a conversation like this will resolve
anything.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA Inc.