Re: [ontolog-forum] Context and Inter-annotator agreement

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 16:17:24 -0400

This discussion of foundation ontologies and grounded natural language dictionaries reminds me a bit of the arguments about physical reality and grand theories discussed by Hawking and Mlodinow in their Grand Design book. Theories are useful maps needed in a complex universe of “infinite” probabilities, universe histories, and  alternate worlds.

.

They go through classical physics and quantum physics, thermodynamics, biochemistry etc. as varied maps of reality.  There is some necessarily overlap between them but none tells the full story of reality on its own.  Finally M-theory is introduced as the last grand theory but built into it is the idea that we need to consider and use of many overlapping maps of reality. That seems to be closer to the way we can understand reality –via some matrix of dynamics and laws.

Each theory provides us some map with some specialized navigational help with to our human-cognition limited,  pragmatic version of reality.

So too concepts and our vocabularies as small concept theories. we may never be absolutely certain of anything, but we can draw better maps.

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
NSF INTEROP Project
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies