Re: [ontolog-forum] Context and Inter-annotator agreement

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:15:25 -0400
On 8/5/13 4:45 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> No!  Children at the age of 3 or 4 are learning dozens of words per day.
> They don't look up words in the dictionary.  They may occasionally ask
> somebody about a "hard" word, but they learn words from context without
> even thinking about them.    (01)

I learned an entire language without a dictionary. The Edo language from
Nigeria is part of my heritage. I was born in the UK and my parents took
me to Nigeria at age 7. I learned to speak the language fluently (within
2-3 years) without reading a single book or looking at a single
dictionary. To this very day, I can understand and speak it fluently,
but I can't actually write in this language without the aid of an Edo
dictionary and thesaurus.    (02)

BTW -- during the same period (and beyond) I failed woefully at trying
to learn French and German (from afar) using dictionaries :-)    (03)

Regards,    (05)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software