Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF and XML

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sjir Nijssen <Sjir.Nijssen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 07:34:28 +0000
+1
    (01)

Sjir Nijssen
    (02)

Chief Technical Officer
PNA Group
    (03)

Tel:        +31 (0)88-777 0 444
Mob:      +31 (0)6-21 510 844
Fax:       +31 (0)88-777 0 499
E-mail:    sjir.nijssen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.pna-group.com
    (04)

Van: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] namens Paul Tyson
[phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Verzonden: zondag 23 juni 2013 7:43
To: [ontolog-forum]
Onderwerp: Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF and XML
    (05)

On Sat, 2013-06-22 at 11:30 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Ahem.

> As someone who is heavily involved in both the CL and RDF 1.1

>  communities, I have to say that I find this idea - of basing SWeb

>  formalisms on Common Logic - completely unworkable. Not for technical

>  reasons, but for political/social ones. There is absolutely no way

>  that anything as complicated as CL is going to be adopted by Web

>  developers and software engineers in the forseeable future. The

>  touchstone question to ask about any proposed data model or format is

>  this, I have been repeatedly told: Can a software developer use it to

>  build a prototype application that does something interesting or

>  useful, using easily available tools and systems, in a couple of days,

>  without having to read anything more than a few paragraphs of

>  explanation or learn more than one new idea?
    (06)

Well that's a pretty small box to expect impressive results from. But I
have a case study that would fit in a slightly larger box.
    (07)

"Easily available tools and systems":
    (08)

xml
html
rdf(s)
RDB2RDF
xslt
sparql
Common Logic (the broken xcl1.0)
emacs (+ nxml-mode)
eclipse
saxon XSLT engine
java
jdbc
javascript
apache httpd
apache tomcat
apache jena
VirtualBox
-------------
Total cost: $0.00
    (09)

Time to implement: more than "a couple of days". There are a lot of
moving parts, but no piece took more than a few weeks to get a prototype
running--and some actually were done in days (or hours). We took it
quickly to production scale, so we were doing POC, development, and beta
production support concurrently.
    (010)

"Interesting or useful": We're maintaining an RDF repository with
several hundred million triples representing "lifeblood" information to
the business. The repository is stoked with triples mapped from RDBMS
using R2RML. We identify data integrity problems using SPARQL queries
generated from XCL. These are data problems that are difficult or
impossible to detect in the native systems, but will impede business
processes. We provide some linked data browsing capabilities over the
repository, including a showpiece application that demonstrates
unparalleled ability to view data from disparate systems.
    (011)

I wanted to put as much business logic as possible in a standard rule
language. The choices appeared to be: 1) RIF; 2) RuleML; and 3) CL. RIF
probably would have worked, but is verbose and unwieldy with its
dialects. Even worse for RuleML. CL seemed simple and flexible by
comparison, and it was easy to get a Relax NG grammar for xcl
straightaway.
    (012)

Admittedly, CL is a small piece of the system, but it has proven its
worth. The XCL source is used to generate: three different types of
SPARQL queries (ASK, CONSTRUCT, SELECT); alternative queries returning
different result sets (full or summary); and query templates that can be
filled in with parameters. The XCL is also formatted to HTML so the
rules can be read by business users--removing some of the mystique (and
confusion) that usually surrounds SQL wizardry.
    (013)

Future enhancements will enlarge the role of CL to touch more parts of
the system. SQL could be generated from it, to support less-evolved
applications. It could inform client applications. It could be used to
generate or check R2RML mappings. I'm looking forward to the new and
improved features of xcl2.
    (014)

So I don't buy the "it's too hard" argument.
    (015)

> If not, forget it. No
>  matter how wonderful it might be, it will not get taken up and adopted

>  by enough developers to make it a viable standard.
    (016)

Good. That gives me a competitive advantage.
    (017)

> Let me take as an illustrative example the 2004 RDF Semantics

>  specification document. RDF is an almost trivially simple logic

>  compared to CL, and its model theory is if anything even simpler by

>  comparison (because the CL model theory is actually fairly intricate,

>  for technical/historical reasons that need not concern us here.) And

>  we wrote that 2004 document deliberately in a kind of 'tutorial' mode

>  because we knew that many readers would not be familiar with

>  model-theoretic semantics, so it is thick with internal links to a

>  thoroughly comprehensive glossary, etc.. Some "logical" readers

>  thought it was a really nicely written document. In the Semantic

>  Web/Linked Data world of Web developers, it has been the single most

>  disastrous cause for the failure of RDF to be adopted. RDF is now

>  almost universally perceived as complicated and arcane and generally

>  weird, so much so that even to use the three letters R-D-F in the

>  introduction to JSON-LD (which is an RDF dialect written in   JSON)

>  has been resisted as likely to harm adoption. Just using the word

>  "semantics" is widely seen in many communities as likely to destroy

>  any chances of wide adoption of any technology.

> It is no good writing tutorials and glossaries for people who are not

>  motivated to learn something new, and developers are not at school.

>  They just want to get software working. They don't give a damn about

>  expressiveness of logics or about validity of entailments, and they

>  *certainly* don't care about anything that smacks of philosophy.

    (018)

I wouldn't put all the blame on developers, or paint them all with that
critical brush. They do what they are paid to do, and if they don't like
what they're paid to do they'll go work somewhere else. So put half or
more of the blame on the people who employ and direct the developers,
and the strangely regressive management culture that seems to be common
in North American corporate IT departments.
    (019)

Regards,
--Paul
    (020)