Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF and XML

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:27:02 -0400
On 6/20/13 6:13 PM, John F Sowa wrote:
> Kingsley,
>
> My general point about any technology is simple:
>
>      Anything that anybody has found to be useful is indeed useful.
>
>> Is there any chance that you can accept this important change to RDF
>> i.e., reflect the decoupled nature of RDF (expressed in RDF 1.1)
>> in the talk I referred to above?
> I "accept" RDF in the same way as Google, Apple, Microsoft, IBM, and
> many others.  If anybody has produced any useful data in RDF form,
> I would map it into formats I prefer.  But I cannot foresee any
> reason why I would choose to base a new project on RDF formats.    (01)

I am not disputing that. I am just asking if it's possible for you to
reflect the fact that RDF's abstract syntax is distinct from concrete
syntaxes used for encoding and serialization of data in various formats
associated with RDF.    (02)

I know the demarcation wasn't clean in the circa. 2004 RDF specs. But
that's no longer the case today.    (03)

> Re XML:  I have been using *ML formats for word processing since the
> 1970s (that is when I began to use IBM's GML).  I formatted my 1984
> book in camera-ready copy with GML.  When HTML came out, I switched
> my word processing to HTML, which I now import into OpenOffice or
> LibreOffice to produce other formats, such as PDF, DOC, PPT, etc.
>
> In the 1980a, I participated in computational linguistics projects
> when I argued for SGML as a good notation for tagging documents
> with semantic information.
>
> But tags such as <script> and </script> have proved to be the
> *preferred* way to embed languages such as JavaScript, JSON,
> PHP, etc., into *ML documents.    (04)

Not disputing that :-)    (05)

Kingsley

> John