Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF and XML

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 18:13:03 -0400
Kingsley,    (01)

My general point about any technology is simple:    (02)

    Anything that anybody has found to be useful is indeed useful.    (03)

> Is there any chance that you can accept this important change to RDF
> i.e., reflect the decoupled nature of RDF (expressed in RDF 1.1)
> in the talk I referred to above?    (04)

I "accept" RDF in the same way as Google, Apple, Microsoft, IBM, and
many others.  If anybody has produced any useful data in RDF form,
I would map it into formats I prefer.  But I cannot foresee any
reason why I would choose to base a new project on RDF formats.    (05)

Re XML:  I have been using *ML formats for word processing since the
1970s (that is when I began to use IBM's GML).  I formatted my 1984
book in camera-ready copy with GML.  When HTML came out, I switched
my word processing to HTML, which I now import into OpenOffice or
LibreOffice to produce other formats, such as PDF, DOC, PPT, etc.    (06)

In the 1980a, I participated in computational linguistics projects
when I argued for SGML as a good notation for tagging documents
with semantic information.    (07)

But tags such as <script> and </script> have proved to be the
*preferred* way to embed languages such as JavaScript, JSON,
PHP, etc., into *ML documents.    (08)